Local Government: General
New Zealand’s leading law firm in local government, we know and understand the huge range of issues local councils face on a daily basis. With our extensive experience, chances are we’ve seen and done it before.
EXPERTISE & EXPERIENCE:
Talk to us about:
- Local Government Official Information Act requests.
- Ombudsman investigations.
- Local government policy, bylaws and consultation.
- Infrastructure and public works.
- Road stopping, reserves and rating.
- Local government reorganisation.
- Advice to elected members e.g. legal tests for decision-making, jurisdiction, prejudice and predetermination/conflict of interest, standing orders and LGOIMA.
- District and High Court proceedings on negligence, breach of statutory duty and misfeasance in public office.
- Public Works Act and Reserves Act issues such as reserve classification and offer-back matters, including ongoing advice to elected members.
- Judicial review.
- Development contributions and financial contributions.
- Public sector finance and borrowing.
- Employment issues.
- Maritime issues such as regional council and harbourmaster’s functions and responsibilities under the Maritime Transport Act and navigation bylaws.
- Health and safety issues.
- Enforcement under the Resource Management Act, Building Act, Local Government Act or Bylaws.